Welcome to Little Sister!

Whew! Time passes so quickly and YES – I am alive, although barely at times…

I am thrilled to confirm that 3 weeks ago, Little Sister came out to play! My experience birthing Little Sister was very different compared to my experience with Little Miss. Little Sister was a scheduled C-section (stubborn girl was still breech at 39 weeks!), while Little Miss ended up being a C-Section after trying to push her out for 4 hours. While I did everything in my power to have a VBAC with Little Sister, in hindsight, the scheduled C-Section was the best thing for all of us. Mainly because Little Sister was 11 pounds 3 ounces! Yes, you read that correctly – she was the size of a watermelon, but of corse way cuter! A huge THANK YOU to my mom and dad for giving me tall genes because I would have never been able to carry her if I wasn’t 5’10!! The first thing my doctor said when Little Sister came out was “Look at those thighs!”. The second thing “You wouldn’t have wanted to VBAC this girl!” – got that right Doc!!

Against my wishes, but per hospital policy, Little Sister then had to go to the NICU for 4 hours of observation. Luckily, Hubby got to stay with her for the first 3 hours and I was able to be with her for the last hour while Hubby picked up Little Miss and took her home. Hubby came back to the hospital after putting Little Miss to bed and then promptly spent most of the night in the bathroom. I am thankful for 2 things on this topic. The first – he was not sick while I was in the process of having “major abdominal surgery”. I wouldn’t have made it through the operation without him by my side. The second – he was at least feeling human the next day. Needless to say, I don’t remember a whole lot of that first night in the hospital except there was little sleep to be had and Little Sister and I cuddled a lot or at least I think we did…

Hospital day and night two were uneventful (at least compared to day and night one!), but the third night in the hospital was a bit rough around the edges. Hubby and I talked prior to having Little Sister and we decided to plan for him to stay at home with Little Miss that night. They would then come to the hospital mid-day on day four to take Little Sister and me home. So I was flying solo with Little Sister on night three. There were tears from both her and I (mainly me…), but we made it! At one point the nurse chastised me for sleeping with Little Sister on my chest. I almost threw a bottle of formula in her face – didn’t she understand that I was utterly exhausted and trying to keep my “hungry as all get out” baby from screaming the entire night?!

Day four was the best day by far – we got to go home! Hubby and Little Miss picked us up around noon and took us home. It felt amazing to leave the hospital with Little Miss and Little Sister in tow.

As I look back at my birth experience with Little Sister, there were certainly ups and downs, but I wouldn’t have traded them for anything. Just like my experience with Little Miss, my birth experience with Little Sister was as unique and special as she is.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s